Tuesday, September 21, 2010

From the Hello to the Heart

So, there I was standing face to face with the idea of being in the unknown. The pressure was on to make a name for myself here and establish new friendships. Without those friendships college would be an awfully lonely place and lonely is not what any of us signed up for in the whole college agreement. The more I pondered the idea that it is on me alone to complete these tasks the more I panicked. Luckily for you though I panicked myself into a solution to accomplish this. Take a second to think about the following situation.

You have a mandatory meeting for an organization but this is the first one of the year and nobody knows each other yet. Minute by minute more people keep piling into the room. They all have blank facial expression and then one person walks in smiling from ear to ear. Which person would you more likely want to talk to?

I am assuming you would choose the smiling person, because that is exactly who I would want to introduce myself to. This is the solution I came across. When someone walks around smiling, others cannot help but notice because it intrigues you to want to know what made them so happy. So if you walk around always sharing your smile people are likely going to approach you over others. Once they approach you the seed for a friendship has been planted. Now, with that smile you have made it past the hello step and can begin watering the seed so it grows into discovering the heart of each other. Then, BAM.. you totally kicked out the lonely option from the college agreement that we all worry about.

So far this has worked marvelous for me on a personal level and I can now walk around the unknown arm in arm with people who are more than just a hello. As I water these seeds I challenge you to get planting.

TIP: Share your smile with everyone, especially the people you have yet to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment